Monday, December 25, 2006

The Passing of My Mother


Mom with myself and newborn baby sister Jeanette, Rotterdam, Netherlands, 1960
I lost my mother on December 21, 2006. After a massive stroke almost a month prior, she peacefully passed on to be with her maker. This period of time was both heartwrenching and deeply profound as we exchanged last words and held onto one another.  Wilhelmina Johanna Caroline Straver was born on June 21, 1918 in Pimatangsiantar, Sumatra, Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia).  

This loss eclipses other losses; a link to my past, my heritage, my roots, a symbol of a bygone era, of another world that no longer exists. Certain objects evoke memories of my Mom and the era she came from: A dainty teacup and saucer. A floral handkerchief with scalloped edging scented with her perfume. A powder puff with her favorite talcum powder. Her Dutch bible. Her pair of "inside" shoes and "outside" shoes - they were identical, but she knew the difference. I miss her very much. I'm very happy we got to make spekkoek together during our last holiday season of 2005. 

Mom was born on the longest day of the year and died on the shortest day of the year.

You will always be a part of me.

3 comments:

Jeannette said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry my friend. Keeping you in my prayers.

Bernice

The Gatekeeper said...

Hi Bianca, this is Cindi's cousin, Debby. Sorry to hear about your mom. I will certainly pray for you. I'll start reading your blog to keep in touch.